(HealthDay News) -- Baseball is a great way for kids and adults to get exercise and enjoy some beautiful weather. But as with any sport, wearing protective gear can help prevent injury.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions for protective gear while enjoying America's pasttime:
- All protective equipment should fit correctly.
- Batters at the plate, and those waiting to hit and running the bases, should always wear a batting helmet.
- Add face shields to batting helmets to further protect the face.
- Catchers should wear full protective gear, including shin guards, an athletic supporter, chest protection, a helmet and a face mask.
- Footwear should fit correctly and have cleats that are appropriate for a baseball field.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.