(HealthDay News) -- Young children can be susceptible to overuse injuries due to repetitive activities during sports competitions and practices.
The safekids.org website lists these tips to help kids reduce the risk of overuse injuries from sports:
- Always warm up with jogging or light exercise for about 10 minutes before play.
- Gently and slowly stretch the muscles before and after playing.
- Promptly recognize and address injuries.
- Make sure to allow the body to rest for one to two days per week and at least 10 weeks during the off-season each year.
- Encourage children to play a variety of types of sports, and always begin a new sport slowly and carefully.
- Always use protective equipment designed for your particular activity when playing.
-- Diana Kohnle
Health News Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.