(HealthDay News) -- Just because your newborn is too little to crawl or talk doesn't mean the two of you can't be active together.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests how you can actively stimulate your young baby's body and mind:
- When baby is just a few weeks old, walk around the house with your newborn and point out objects by name.
- Encourage reaching out, touching and examining safe objects.
- Talk to your baby constantly, while changing, bathing or feeding.
- Read to baby and dance together while listening to music, or play together on the floor.
- Engage in a game of peek-a-boo or patty cake, and give plenty of hugs and physical affection.
- Secure baby in the stroller and go outside for a walk.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.