(HealthDay News) -- Gardening is a great way to relax, get some exercise and enjoy the great outdoors. But it's important to take precautions.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these gardening safety guidelines:
- Protect yourself with a pair of long pants, sturdy shoes and safety goggles when using power tools.
- If you are using loud machinery, use hearing protection.
- Protect your hands by wearing gloves.
- Protect yourself with a DEET-containing insect repellent, tall rubber boots, and pants tucked into the boots.
- Guard against sun damage with a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, long sleeves and sunscreen.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.