(HealthDay News) -- Anyone can slip and fall on an unseen icy spot. So it's important to be aware of frozen patches as soon as the weather is near or below freezing.
The National Association of State Departments of Agriculture suggests these tips to help prevent falls:
- When walking on snowy or icy ground, keep hands out of pockets.
- Wear warm boots with good traction. Bring a change of shoes if you need to wear something more glamorous.
- Use your toe to carefully see if an area is slippery before putting all of your weight on it.
- Avoid carrying large or heavy loads during winter.
- Walk slowly and cautiously with small steps, and use hand rails when available.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.