(HealthDay News) -- Reckless diving can lead to serious injury, including permanent paralysis.
To stay safe, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons advises:
- Never dive in shallow water.
- Only one person at a time on the diving board.
- Do not dive into murky water. Make sure you can see the bottom in the deepest area of the pool.
- Ensure the diving area is deep enough to dive safely.
- Never run down the diving board or bounce more than once.
- Dive off the end of the board, and don't try to dive far out into the pool.
- Once you hit the water, swim away quickly so you're out of the next diver's way.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.